ST. GEORGE'S ANGLICAN CHURCH
WELCOME TO OUR CHURCH
We stand for Good Moral Character exemplified by JESUS CHRIST himself and we believe that interaction with one another and worship and Fellowship with each other will produce the above.
HISTORY OF ST. GEORGE’S ANGLICAN CHURCH
HOW SAINT GEORGE’S CHURCH BEGAN
When the Rt. Reverend Donald R. Knowles was Rector of St. Matthew’s parish Nassau, an area nearby was sparsely inhabited by members of the church, who came to Nassau from the Out Islands, as well as those in Nassau who were then buying lots in this new area of Sear Addition. He was requested by them to provide services to be conducted in their midst, rather than having to walk the distance to St. Matthew’s Church. Miss Beatrice Adderley and her sister Mrs. Elsaida Barry were the leaders in making this request, and are considered the founders of St. George’s Church. Finally a lot was purchased for the purpose of building a church. There was no more money available after the lot was purchased. Meanwhile services were held on the porch of Mrs. J Minnis’ home. At times this place was very trying because of the cold in winter and the hot sun in the summer and rainy season. After a while Mrs. Minnis offered her house and services were conducted inside.
SAINT GEORGE’S AT PRESENT
The present St. George’s Church was started by Fr. D. Lambert, Rector of St. Matthew’s Church in 1954 and was completed by Fr. Eldon who was in charge of St. Matthew over and beyond the spot of the first church building. The corner stone was laid by the Rt. Reverend Spence Burton S.S.J.E Lord Bishop of The Nassau and The Bahamas on Sunday, December 23rd 1956. Although it is much larger, 10 years later it is again too small for our members. On certain feast days most of the children can only hear mass as they have to be seated in the vestry, the school room and at times in the yard. This is far from being satisfactory hence we are anticipating adding but not demolishing.